About the Tournament House
This Italian Renaissance-style mansion was built in 1906 for the Stimson family in Pasadena’s “Millionaire’s Row”. The house was designed and built by architect G. Lawrence Stimson and his father, George W. Stimson. After most of the Stimson children left the nest, the house became too big for the Stimsons and they sold the house to William Wrigley Jr. in 1914.
The mansion was presented to the City of Pasadena in 1958 by the Wrigley family. They gave their home with the understanding that it would become the permanent headquarters for the Tournament of Roses®. That is why is is known today as the Tournament House.
The Tournament of Roses Association produces the Rose Parade and Rose Bowl game each New Year in Pasadena. The Rose Parade was conceived by the Valley Hunt Club in 1890. It served as a mid-winter festival where they would invite their neighbors who moved from the East Coast. Five years later, after the Rose Parade grew too large for the Valley Hunt Club, the Tournament of Roses Association was formed. Today, 935 Volunteers make up the Tournament of Roses, they are affectionately referred to as “White Suiters” because of the distinctive white uniform every volunteer wears.
The text for this article originally appeared on visitpasadena.com